Basic tasks of the Association include:
- representing the interests of Wielkopolska municipalities and counties in Poland and in Europe,
- initiating and supporting social and economic activities,
- providing consulting and training services for the member municipalities and counties,
- gathering, processing and providing information on member municipalities and counties for potential investors and partners,
- promoting Wielkopolska and strengthening regional identity.
Representing interests of Wielkopolska municipalities and counties
The Association lobbies for legislation related to self-government, as well as to key issues for the region. The activities in this area focus on:
- presenting positions on issues which are important for local governments,
- cooperating with the Parliament within providing opinions on legal bills,
- organising regular consultations with Polish Members of Parliament and Senators from the Wielkopolska Region,
- representing member municipalities and counties in contacts with the Sejmik of the Wielkopolska Region, Marshal’s Office, government administration and non-governmental institutions.
Supporting economic development and promotion of municipalities and counties
The Association of Wielkopolska Municipalities and Counties has undertaken, in cooperation with the Polish Information and Foreign Investment Agency and Marshal’s Office of the Wielkopolska Province, the task of creating and running the Investor Assistance Centre (COI), which is responsible for the entire region. This joint initiative aims at ensuring better promotion of economic advantages of the region as well as providing professional assistance for foreign investors. The main objectives of the COI include, among others:
- lobbying and promotion of the region as an area which is attractive and friendly for investors,
- supporting Wielkopolska local governments in the preparation of an attractive investment offer,
- supporting potential foreign investors in using the investment offer,
- maintaining an investment area data base.
Information and training activities for JST
One of the main tasks of the Association of Wielkopolska Municipalities and Counties is providing consulting and training services for the member municipalities and counties, on the basis of their requirements and requests. The training agenda includes some permanent items such as for example the Education management in a municipality and a county seminar, which has been very popular among participants for eight years now.
Information activities are mainly based on the Wielkopolska Newsletter, which is sent out to all Wielkopolska self-governments once a week via e-mail. It contains a brief news summary from Poland as well as the region related to issues which are important for an JST. Additionally, once a month the Association issues the Membership Bulletin containing detailed information on initiatives undertaken by the Board of the organisation, the activities of the Standing Committees as well as activities of the office.
Wielkopolska in the European Union – consulting and training activities
Since 2000 the Association of Wielkopolska Municipalities and Counties has been running an official European Information Point, the activities of which focus on providing information for Wielkopolska local governments on:
- sources of financing of their actions,
- international projects including self-government entities from the entire EU,
- activities of EU bodies and institutions responsible for regional issues.
In this area the Association cooperates with the Wielkopolska Region Information Office in Brussels.
Developing interests of teenagers
One of the oldest initiatives of the Association is the annual Wielkopolska Knowledge Competition. The Competition aims at familiarising students with the heritage of Wielkopolska, developing their interest in the region, its history, tradition as well as building their sense of identity.
The SGiPW is also responsible for all initiatives of teenagers, who despite their young age, want to be actively engaged in the activities of local communities. Hence, for seven years now the Association has been organising the Wielkopolska Youth Forum, which aims at the exchange of experiences and integration of the youth self-government centres as well as preparing teenagers to be active citizens of a democratic civil society.
Who do we cooperate with?
In order to efficiently fulfil its objectives, the Association actively cooperates with numerous partners, which include:
Regional partners: Marshal’s Office of the Wielkopolska Region, Wielkopolska Voivodship Office, Wielkopolska Chamber of Industry and Commerce, Centre for European Integration at the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań, Wielkopolska Agency for Regional Development, Wielkopolska Centre for Self-government Education and Studies, Poznań University of Economics, Voivodship Public Library and Culture Animation Centre and many more.
Polish partners: Association of Polish Counties, Association of Polish Cities, Union of Rural Communes, Polish Information and Foreign Investment Agency, Foundation for Polish-German Cooperation.
Foreign partners: Städte- und Gemeindetag Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Регионално сдружение на общини „Централна Стара планина”, Gemeinnützige Hertie-Stiftung, Wielkopolska Region Information Office in Brussels.